Counting Down to Christmas

Categories: Family, Fun and games, Holiday, Kids

I may be the only person in America who doesn’t break into hives at the sight of Christmas decorations immediately following Halloween. While most rational shoppers are shoving their noise-canceling earbuds further in as Mariah Carey belts “All I Want For Christmas Is You” on repeat, I’m singing along like a five-year-old.

Call it commercialized, call it overdone, call it whatever you want—I LOVE the holiday season, and it can’t get here soon enough.

Naturally, I love anything that counts down to Christmas, which is why I love advent calendars. As a kid, they were a big deal in my house: a daily reminder that Christmas was coming, a little daily treat that made the anticipation more bearable, a daily moment to sit with family and reflect on what the holiday really meant (of course I didn’t appreciate that last one nearly enough at the time).

Through the years, we had advent calendars of all kinds—ones with chocolates or gifts behind each window, glittered antique-style ones, handmade felt ones with pockets. But by far the coolest advent calendar I’ve ever seen is the Story of Christmas storybook set and calendar. When I recently stumbled across it in the office, I was hit with a wave of crazy childlike joy. For each day of the advent, from December 1st through the 24th, there’s a mini-book telling a part of the Christmas story. And each little book doubles as an ornament—with a loop for hanging on the tree after it’s read.

A look inside The Story of Christmas advent calendar

I can’t wait to give it to my family for Christmas, and I know it’ll become a tradition in my own home—something I’ll bring out year after year along with the stockings and lights and vintage reindeer statuettes… even as my neighbors are hosting their end-of-summer barbecues.

8 Comments
Posted by at 12:04 pm
Tags: , , , ,
Bookmark and Share

-----------30-----------

8 Comments

1. Brad  •  Dec 8, 2010 @8:24 pm

We have one of these calenders and really enjoy it, except we have two of the books for day 5 and are missing day 7! Could anyone tell me what day 7 is?

thanks!

2. Christine Koegler  •  Jan 5, 2012 @2:09 am

Brad,
    I just noticed your request a year too late. I hope someone answered you about book number 7. If not, I have a copy that I would be happy to scan for you. We lost our book number 2, called The Prophecy. I would love to know what it says inside. I only have a picture of the cover.

3. Carolyn Croll  •  Jan 19, 2012 @11:01 am

As the Illustrator, its very nice to read everyone’s
    appreciative comments. Thanks!

4. Jackie  •  Feb 7, 2012 @9:28 pm

How can I buy one of these?

5. avery  •  Feb 13, 2012 @9:29 am

Hi Jackie,

You can buy the Story of Christmas advent calendar through our website (www.workman.com) or through any number of other online retailers, including Amazon and Barnes & Noble. Around the holidays it’s also likely to be sold in your local bookstore.

Thanks for reading!
    Avery

6. Erika  •  Nov 14, 2012 @11:53 am

We have two number 6′s and no number 8. Can any one scan number 8 for us and then I can print and paste. Thanks so much.

Erika

7. Ruth  •  Jan 7, 2013 @10:15 am

Bought a Story Of Christmas Advent calendar and #5 is missing. Is this a defect in the product?

8. Marybeth Sarr  •  Dec 15, 2013 @7:54 pm

I just found this blog. This is a beloved family tradition for many many years. We opened up year. and we are missing #8. Tell us what it is. I would scan any book for anyone from now on….